Mechanic Aide / Heating
The incumbent performs skilled and semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks on buildings, apartments, grounds and equipment. He/she is required to demonstrate knowledge of plumbing, electricity, and heating, in the performance of responsibilities. He/she is required to possess, as a minimum requirement, one of the following licensees: Mass State 2nd Class Firemen’s License, State Pipefitter’s License, or Gasfitters License. This position is a highly responsible position requiring the incumbent to work independently and exercise good judgment. The shift assignment is based on the workload requirement, and scheduling may be changed with proper notice.
The incumbent of this position receives work direction and guidance from the Management/Facilities Director or Plumbing and Heating Supervisor, associated with the maintenance and repairs to buildings, apartments, grounds, equipment, and heating components.
Normally, no supervision is given but the incumbent occasionally may supervise a small number of maintenance aides and grounds keepers in the absence of senior maintenance employee(s).
Important Note: This is a night-shift position with a work schedule of Tuesday through Saturday from 3:30pm-12:00am. Night shift differential will be added to hourly wage. Initial training will be provided on day shift.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs maintenance and repair.
- Performs plumbing and heating tasks such as changing faucet washers, stems, seats, etc., and repairing toilets by changing tank bulbs, overflow tubes, guide wires, etc., repairing Paloma Pacs as required.
- Performs minor electrical tasks such as resetting circuit breakers, changing plates covers on switches and outlets, replacing light bulbs, globes, etc.
- Cleans and paints vacant apartments by washing walls, ceilings, windows, floors, cupboards, lavatories.
- Performs floor tile installation by removing the old tile, scraping down floor surface and then laying the tile properly.
- Performs building and grounds maintenance and repairs through the use of such tools and equipment as common hand tools, glass cutters, wrenches, pipe cutters, drain augers, shovels, rakes, lawnmowers, snow blowers, caulking guns, trowels, etc.
- Clears snow and ice from buildings and grounds by shoveling, operating a snowplow, snow blower, etc., to ensure tenant safety.
- Assists in moving heavy objects such as refrigerators, stoves, etc.
- Performs maintenance of grounds by cleaning up debris, mowing lawns, raking grass and leaves, trimming shrubs and trees,
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of general maintenance.
- Knowledge of materials and equipment used in buildings and grounds.
- Skilled in the use of hand tools and equipment used for buildings and grounds.
- Ability to perform maintenance and repairs of buildings, grounds, equipment, and heating components.
- Ability to operate a snowplow.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles (pick-up truck and dump truck).
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to lift heavy objects.
- Shall possess valid Driver’s license.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety measures.
Education and Experience:
- Must have a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in heating or a related field.
- Certification in the handling of hazardous materials and/or occupational safety training advantageous, i.e. OSHA or National Safety Board approved.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Candidate shall possess a valid Driver’s License.
- One of the following licensees: Mass State 2nd Class Firemen’s License, State Pipefitter’s License, or Gasfitters License.
- OSHA certification advantageous.
Pay Rate: $36.69/Hour + $1.83/Hour Shift Differential.
BACK TO ALL NEWS