This type of work involves the performance of semi-skilled and highly skilled diversified duties in connection with repairs and maintenance of building and grounds requiring many skills found at the master carpenter level, such as: carpentry for woodwork repairs and painting work. An incumbent is expected to have knowledge of and manual skills in repairing such items as: windows, doors, and other wood materials, mechanical equipment (snow blowers, power equipment, hedge clippers, air powered tools, etc.) and in carrying out a full set of maintenance duties, may be required to work under adverse conditions such as: sleet, snow, heat, dust, and dirt.
An incumbent normally receives only general supervision and carries out work assignments after being provided with a work schedule, determining own work methods and techniques for accomplishing the job. Supervisor spot checks work while in progress and upon completion for acceptability.
An incumbent may provide work direction and guidance to a small number of laborers or aides, but generally works independently and exercises a great deal of independence of judgement in resolving problems in the act of repairing building and appurtenances.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently performs a wide range of building and ground repairs and maintenance functions, calling for physical exertion frequently.
- Digs ditches and holes as necessary.
- Rough, finish, and fine carpentry including repairs of windows, doors, door frames, locks, mailboxes, roofing, siding, bathrooms, suspended ceilings, flooring, kitchens, etc.
- Repair and servicing of mechanical equipment such as: snow blowers, power movers, hedge trimmers, and other equipment generally used by the maintenance staff.
- Must have knowledge of and skill in using a wide range of hand tools and equipment, such as: drills, hammers, pliers, electrical testers, hand and power saws, cutters, plungers, threaders, wire brushes, air tools, etc.
- Perform groundskeeping tasks: trimming mowing, planting, and policing grounds.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Working knowledge of and skill in applying knowledge in rough, finish and fine carpentry, painting, and mechanical equipment.
- Ability to independently perform complicated building maintenance tasks of varying difficulty.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety measures.
- Knowledge of tools and methods to be used in a wide range of building maintenance work.
- Ability to direct the work of others, such as: laborers or aides.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and assignments.
- Ability to maintain acceptable working relationships with co-workers and outside contractors.
- Ability to work in adverse conditions, such as: sleet, snow, heat, cold, dust and dirt, as well as cramped quarters and high places.
- Ability to lift heavy objects into and out of trucks or other carriers.
Education and Experience:
- Master Carpenter with at least ten (10) years of prior experience.
- Experience and training in commercial and residential carpentry.
- Blueprint reading as expected in the carpentry trade.
Certifications and Licenses:
BACK TO ALL NEWS
- Candidate shall possess a valid Driver’s License.
- Candidates should possess a 40-hour OSHA certification.