The Lowell Housing Authority is a quasi-public organization with a mission to work in partnership with other housing providers, local government and our residents to provide quality housing and a variety of social services programs that assist residents in achieving their highest level of self-sufficiency. The Authority manages over 2,500 units of federal, state, and leased housing for individuals and families. The LHA operates under the umbrella of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) who establish regulations and provide guidance to our agency.
We are a large housing organization with approximately 83 administrative staff, and an experienced maintenance workforce, responsible for the upkeep of our properties across the City of Lowell. We consider ourselves to be A Foundation for Stability and Opportunity. We recognize that access to affordable housing is only the first step in achieving self-sufficiency, so we’ve dedicated ourselves to becoming much more. To achieve our goals, we implement or partner with a number of community organizations to create opportunities for our residents to achieve self-sufficiency. Programs and services include youth enrichment, academic scholarships, financial literacy, counseling, and homeownership.
As a team, we are data-driven, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence. We value our employees, offer excellent benefits, and support the professional growth of staff through our tuition reimbursement program, professional training, and mentorship.
Customer Relations/Data Management Specialist
JOB SUMMARY This is a highly responsible administrative position in which the incumbent is tasked with delivering the highest quality customer service, improving customer experiences, and utilizing data and housing information systems to make recommendations to facilitate programmatic improvement. The incumbent will rely on extensive knowledge of low-income housing programs and services to provide direction and accurate information to clients, applicants, community partners and coworkers. SUPERVISION RECEIVED The incumbent will receive direct supervision and strategy from the Executive Director and/or Assistant Executive Director, if designated. SUPERVISION GIVEN No supervision given.
- Maintains a positive, empathetic, and professional attitude towards customers at all times
- Must possess exemplary phone demeanor and email etiquette
- Familiarity with and ability to navigate public housing information systems
- Familiarity with the duties and functions of property and facilities management teams
- Ability to identify problems, clarify solutions, and effectively follow-through to ensure problem resolution
- Knowledge of organizing data, generating reports, trend analysis, and confidence in presenting findings to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to write and issue clear, concise instructions
- Knowledge of HUD and DHCD regulations
- Knowledge of public housing programs and services
- Experience working with diverse and low-income populations
- Knowledge of effective training techniques and practices
- Responds promptly to customer inquiries from applicants, residents, and community stakeholders
- Responsible for responding tactfully to customer complaints, including documentation of complaints and remedial action
- Answers questions about housing programs and eligibility
- Connects customers to services available at the LHA and within the community
- Maintains contact forms and other digital customer service tools and explores new strategies for improving customer interactions
- Responsible for the implementation of new housing products and services
- Design and implement internal customer service training for employees
- Develop an intimate knowledge of projects and processes to improve customer experiences
- Responsible for coordinating housing information system upgrades and add-ons
- Produce a variety of reports from housing information system for operational analysis
- Makes program and process recommendations based on data and trend analysis
- Assist in policy development and process improvements across the agency
- Performs other duties of the class, as required
Assistant Youth Program Coordinator
The Lowell Housing Authority is seeking a qualified individual to serve as temporary, part-time Assistant Youth Program Coordinator. The incumbent in this position is responsible for assisting in the daily operation of an after-school educational enhancement program. The program will be offered between the hours of 3:00PM and 5:30PM, Monday through Thursday. The program serves a diverse youth group in grades 3-8 and operates from September 2019 through mid-June 2020.
The incumbent works under the direct supervision of the Youth Program Manager who develops daily work assignments and provides program direction. The incumbent also works under the general supervision of the Family Self-Sufficiency Director.
The incumbent will assist in the supervision of program participants. The incumbent will also be responsible for the supervision of volunteer student tutors.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the needs and obstacles faced by the youth population
- Ability to develop effective relationships with persons of varied backgrounds
- Ability to demonstrate self-initiative with regards to job responsibilities and expectations
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing as to be readily understood by others
- Ability to operate relevant office machinery, such as telephone, calculator, photocopier, computer, etc.
- General knowledge of academic studies appropriate to middle/ junior high school age children
- Assist with maintaining daily attendance of program participants.
- Assist with program registrations/intake as well as the collection of progress reports/report cards and permission slips for off-site events.
- Assist with the coordination of daily routine including student homework assistance as well as the development and oversight of structured learning activities
- Provide guidance to program participants with regards to the successful completion of homework assignments and projects.Mentor program participants via the demonstration of appropriate interactive skills with others.
May also perform other related duties that pertain to the successful operation of an after-school program.
The nature of this work suggests that an appointee possess a High School Diploma and have had prior work experience with middle/junior high school age children. Bilingual ability preferred. Position will remain posted until filled.
Benefits are offered for full time 35 hour/week positions and include:
- Defined pension plan
- Health and dental coverage
- Long-term disability
- Flexible spending
- Deferred compensation
- Training certifications, conference participation, and tuition reimbursement