The Lowell Housing Authority is a quasi-public organization with a mission to work in partnership with other housing providers, local government and our residents to provide quality housing and a variety of social services programs that assist residents in achieving their highest level of self-sufficiency. The Authority manages over 2,500 units of federal, state, and leased housing for individuals and families. The LHA operates under the umbrella of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) who establish regulations and provide guidance to our agency.
We are a large housing organization with approximately 83 administrative staff, and an experienced maintenance workforce, responsible for the upkeep of our properties across the City of Lowell. We consider ourselves to be A Foundation for Stability and Opportunity. We recognize that access to affordable housing is only the first step in achieving self-sufficiency, so we’ve dedicated ourselves to becoming much more. To achieve our goals, we implement or partner with a number of community organizations to create opportunities for our residents to achieve self-sufficiency. Programs and services include youth enrichment, academic scholarships, financial literacy, counseling, and homeownership.
As a team, we are data-driven, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence. We value our employees, offer excellent benefits, and support the professional growth of staff through our tuition reimbursement program, professional training, and mentorship.
Benefits are offered for full time 35 hour/week positions and include:
- Defined pension plan
- Health and dental coverage
- Long-term disability
- Flexible spending
- Deferred compensation
- Training certifications, conference participation, and tuition reimbursement
The incumbent performs skilled plumbing maintenance tasks such as the installation, maintenance and repair of plumbing systems, fixtures, controls, appliances, and equipment of buildings, grounds, apartments, and general facilities. The incumbent is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of assigned plumbing systems and components. The incumbent shall possess and maintain a state journeyman plumber’s license. This position is a highly responsible position requiring the incumbent to work independently and exercise good judgment at all times. This is a full-time, non-exempt, union position. Must have a minimum of five (5) years of experience as a journeyman plumber. The nature of this work suggests that the incumbent come to this position with considerable experience in plumbing maintenance/construction, at a journeyman level of performance. Training should have been completed in an apprenticeship training program in plumbing, or graduation from a trade, regional vocational high school or another school offering curriculum in plumbing. Must possess knowledge of National, State, Local plumbing codes and plumbing theory. The incumbent must possess a current Massachusetts' journeyman plumber's license and a valid driver's license. Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs the installation of heating systems, hot water systems, plumbing fixtures, etc.
- Performs plumbing repair tasks on items such as water closets, sinks, showers, faucets, etc.
- Ability to interpret plans and blueprints related to plumbing and heating installation.
- Trouble shoot plumbing problems with waste systems, heating systems, domestic water supplies, etc.
- Performs other related duties of a maintenance mechanic as required.
- Required to carry an Authority issued cell phone at all times.
- Notifies Supervisor of potentially dangerous piping systems for waste lines, heating, or plumbing, and be prepared to take corrective action and document same.
- May be called on night shifts and weekends to perform emergency repairs.
- May on occasion perform mechanic's work when no mechanic is available.
- May be required to use own transportation when company vehicle is not available. Mileage reimbursement will be provided at the established rate per Lowell Housing Authority policy.