The Lowell Housing Authority is a quasi-public organization with a mission to work in partnership with other housing providers, local government and our residents to provide quality housing and a variety of social services programs that assist residents in achieving their highest level of self-sufficiency. The Authority manages over 2,500 units of federal, state, and leased housing for individuals and families. The LHA operates under the umbrella of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) who establish regulations and provide guidance to our agency.
We are a large housing organization with approximately 83 administrative staff, and an experienced maintenance workforce, responsible for the upkeep of our properties across the City of Lowell. We consider ourselves to be A Foundation for Stability and Opportunity. We recognize that access to affordable housing is only the first step in achieving self-sufficiency, so we’ve dedicated ourselves to becoming much more. To achieve our goals, we implement or partner with a number of community organizations to create opportunities for our residents to achieve self-sufficiency. Programs and services include youth enrichment, academic scholarships, financial literacy, counseling, and homeownership.
As a team, we are data-driven, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence. We value our employees, offer excellent benefits, and support the professional growth of staff through our tuition reimbursement program, professional training, and mentorship.
JOB SUMMARY This is a responsible position in which the incumbent will perform administrative duties associated with the Federal Public Housing Program. SUPERVISION RECEIVED The incumbent in this class receives direct supervision from the Public Housing Program Administrator. SUPERVISION GIVEN The incumbent provides no supervision to others. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel and the ability to learn the software program for the Federal Public Housing Program.
- Ability to deal effectively with low-income, culturally diverse individuals and families.
- Ability to comply with office practices and protocols.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidential information, and provide for the security of confidential documents.
- Ability to multi-task and perform all required duties.
- Ability to understand regulations of the Federal Public Housing Program and comply with policies and procedures set forth in the Low Rent Public Housing Administrative Plan.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Ability to meet established deadlines and coordinate work flow to produce effective results.
- Knowledge of area support service programs
- Schedule interviews and perform eligibility screening of Federal and State Public Housing Program applicants.
- Completes necessary leases and rent computations for the Federal and State Public Housing Program.
- Performs interim and annual recertification of income for program participants, as required.
- Obtains Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) information for tenants at the time of annual recertification of income.
- Maintains a secure, organized file system of tenant folders, compliant with LHA filing procedures.
- Performs data entry into HUD’s IMS/PIC System of all income and family information related to the annual re-examination of income, as well as interim rent changes.
- Performs data entry of information related to applicant screenings, and tenant annual/interim re-certification of income.
- Correlates orientation packets for new residents.
- Performs data entry for lease-up, vacancy, inspection, and move-ins.
- Develops written correspondence to residents and maintains a copy of letter/notices in resident files.
- Performs other related duties of the class as required.
- Defined pension plan
- Health and dental coverage
- Long-term disability
- Flexible spending
- Deferred compensation
- Training certifications, conference participation, and tuition reimbursement